This is DEFINITELY one of my new staple meals. This took about 30 minutes total (prep & cook time) to make, and you can just throw all the ingredients into 1 pot... no mess! Perfect for students, or just the average joe who's too busy to make dinner each night. This is the perfect meal to have prepped or even freeze!
(approx. 4 servings)
✘ 1.5 tsp chili powder
✘ 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
✘ 1/2 tsp cumin
✘ 1/2 tsp black pepper
✘ 1 tsp salt
✘ 1 tbsp agave/maple syrup (optional)
✘ 1 medium onion (diced)
✘ 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
✘ 1 small jalapeno (finely diced)
✘ 3 small tomatoes (diced)
✘ 1 large red bell pepper (finely diced)
✘ 5 large white mushrooms (finely chopped)
✘ 1 + 1/4 cup tomato sauce
✘ 2 cups vegetable broth
✘ 1.5 cups dry quinoa
✘ 2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 15oz. can)
✘ 1.5 cups frozen or fresh corn
✘ 1 large avocado
✘ 1/4 cup chopped green onion
✘ 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
✘ lime juice
1. In a large non-stick pot over medium/high heat, add onion, garlic, and jalapeno (add splashes of water every so often so nothing sticks). Cook for about 5 minutes. Then add all the spices and cook for another 2 minutes.
2. Add red pepper, tomatoes, and mushrooms. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the mushrooms have started to release water. Add tomato sauce and agave/maple syrup.
3. Add quinoa, black beans, corn, and vegetable broth. Stir to combine well. Bring to a simmer, then cover and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes (or until quinoa is cooked).
4. Once cooked, stir in parsley, and 1/2 the green onion. Top with diced avocado, a squeeze of lime, and the rest of the green onion.
5. I LOVE this served with oil-free tostadas (corn chips)!
For the video tutorial see video below (YouTube: Maddie Lymburner):