Black Bean Burgers - Non-Vegan Approved!
This week my family came to stay here with us in Mexico and they agreed to be as vegan as possible for this week! Of course, this made me incredibly excited and I've been trying to make them as many delicious vegan meals as possible! Black bean burgs are always a go-to veggie meal, and with the addition of some vegan cheese... everyone LOVED THEM! These burgers are super simple to make, super tasty, and NON-VEGAN/CARNIVORE APPROVED!
(makes 8 burger patties)
✘ 2 chia eggs (2 tbsp chia seeds + 6 tbsp water)
✘ 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
✘ 1/2 cup diced onion (red or yellow)
✘ 1 medium carrot (finely diced)
✘ 1 medium green pepper (finely diced)
✘ 3.5 cups cooked black beans
✘ 1/2 cup walnuts (sub 1/4 sunflower seeds to make nut free)
✘ 3 slices of bread (sub for 3/4 cup certified gluten-free oats to make GF)
✘ 1/2 tsp oregano
✘ 2 tsp chili powder
✘ 1.5 tsp smoked paprika
✘ 1 tsp cumin
✘ 1 tsp salt
✘ 1/2 tsp black pepper
✘ 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
✘ Vegan cheese slices
✘ Sliced red onion
✘ Sliced tomato
✘ Mashed Avocado
Preheat oven to 400F
1. Combine chia seeds and water, stir, and set aside.
2. In a non-stick pan over medium-high heat (adding splashes of water every so often to nothing burns), combine garlic and onion and saute for about 5 minutes until onions are translucent. Add green pepper and carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes more. Remove from heat.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mash black beans until most of the black beans are smooth (I prefer to have a few chunks/beans left in the mix).
4. In a blender or food processor, add bread and walnuts and pulse until a fine mixture is formed (there should be no large chunks).
5. To the mixing bowl with the black beans, add cooked veggie mixture, chia eggs, all spices and nutritional yeast, and the bread/walnut mixture.
6. Mix together until everything is well combined.
7. Measure out the patties using a 1/2 cup measurement. Form them into patties and place on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes each side. Once the burgers are done cooking, add a slice of vegan cheese and pop back in the oven until nicely melted.
8. Serve with your desired toppings and enjoy!
Mariah - July 26 2019
These are amazing! I’ve tried dozens of recipes, not exaggerating. These are the best black bean burgers I’ve had!
Sarah - February 15 2018
This is the best veggie burger hands down.
Nicole Sulik - February 02 2018
Just made these tonight for my hubby and his friends family. Was a total hit..they thought it tasted like the real thing! Thanks so much for this recipe..it is amazing!
Jordan - January 16 2018
These burgers are so freaking good!!!! Hands down the best veggie burger I’ve had to date!
Rach - January 12 2018
Can you freeze the burgers? Of so, for how long? Thanks for all the inspirational videos :)
C A - January 11 2018
How do these store? Could someone make a batch and freeze them for cookouts later?