When I arrived home from our latest travel adventures, my mom made me a wonderful dinner and with it, she served me these potato spinach balls! They were so tasty and so simple, that I decided to make my own rendition of them and share the recipe with you all!
(makes approx. 18-20 balls)
✘ 4 medium-sized steamed potatoes
✘ 2 large handfuls of spinach (chopped into thin slices)
✘ 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
✘ 1.5 cups cooked navy/white beans
✘ 1.5 cups gluten-free bread crumbs
✘ 1 tsp salt
✘ 1/2 tsp pepper
✘ 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
✘ 1.5 tsp cumin
✘ 1.5 tsp onion powder
✘ 1 tbsp dried basil
✘ 1/2 tsp thyme
Preheat oven to 450F
1. In a non-stick pan over medium heat add minced garlic and saute with a few tbsp of water for 2 minutes. Add your sliced spinach and saute until spinach just starts to wilt. Remove from heat.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add all the navy beans. Mash until it forms a smooth consistency. Add potatoes and mash until a "mashed potato" texture is formed.
3. Add all spices and the spinach and garlic mixture. Mash until everything is well combined.
4. Roll the potato mixture into 1 inch sized balls and in a separate bowl, add the breadcrumbs to roll them in. Make sure each ball is nicely coated with breadcrumbs and place on a lined baking sheet.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Turn the broiler on and bake for another 5 minutes or just until the tops of the balls start to turn golden (This creates the crispy shell).