The perfect Christmas morning breakfast item! Everyone loves french toast, but I decided to put a Holiday twist on this recipe! The gingerbread spice, paired with the creamy drizzle, and pistachios are a match made in heaven.
GINGERBREAD SPICE MIX:
✘ 3 tbsp cinnamon
✘ 1.5 tbsp ginger
✘ 1.5 tbsp allspice
✘ 2 tsp nutmeg
✘ 2 tsp cloves
✘ Pinch of black pepper
✘ 1.5 tbsp gingerbread spice mix
✘ 2 tbsp maple syrup
✘ 2 tbsp blackstrap mollases
✘ 1/2 cup plant milk of your choice
✘ 6-7 slices of rustic style bread (sandwich style bread will go too soggy)
✘ 1 cup plant milk of your choice
✘ 2 tbsp chia seeds
✘ 1 tbsp maple syrup
✘ 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
✘ Chopped pistachios
✘ Vanilla coconut yogurt mixed with plant milk to thin
1. The night before, or a few hours before mix together the ingredients for the gingerbread marinade in a small bowl. Lay your slices of bread in a baking dish, and pour the gingerbread mixture over top making sure most of the bread is covered. Allow the slices to soak in the fridge overnight or for a few hours.
2. Next, make your french toast mixture. In a blender, add plant milk, chia seeds, maple syrup, and vanilla. Blend on high for a few minutes until the mixture is completely smooth.
3. Transfer mixture to a bowl and allow to sit on the counter for a few minutes (this gives the chia seeds time to "gel up" and form a gelatinous mixture)!
4. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat (you want the pan to be hot before cooking).
5. Dip each slice of bread into the french toast mixture allowing to soak for 20-30 seconds each side. Then, transfer to the hot pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side (making sure it's not wet when you flip it).
6. Stack your slices, drizzle with coconut yogurt mixture, and top with pistachios and a drizzle of maple syrup!
For the video tutorial see video below (YouTube: Maddie Lymburner):