It's the holiday season and that means it's time to start baking! These gingerbread cookies are super easy to make and are made form very simple ingredients.
(Makes 8-9 large gingerbread men)
✘ 2 + 1/3 cup spelt flour
✘ 1 tsp baking soda
✘ 1 tsp cinnamon
✘ 1 tsp nutmeg
✘ 1.5 tsp ginger spice (or 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger)
✘ 1/4 tsp salt
✘ 1/4 cup molasses
✘ 1/4 cup applesauce (or mashed banana)
✘ 1 cup packed brown sugar
✘ 2-3 tbsp plant milk (depending on the consistency of your dough)
- Preheat oven to 375F or 190C
In a medium sized mixing bowl combine: applesauce, brown sugar, and molasses. In a separate mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and slowly begin to fold together. If the mixture is too dry, add a few tbsp of plant milk until the dough is soft and sticks together.
- On a large floured surface, roll out the dough until it is approx. 1/4 inch thick.
- Press out cookies using a cookie cutter and place on a lined baking sheet. Repeat process until all the dough is used up.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
* Recipe adapted from Tess Begg